Monday 28 January 2013

Best Friends For Never {chapter 9 - Chioma}



Days passed and everything seemed normal. Lanre and I went on dates, Remi and I went shopping and had sleepovers. The only thing that seemed out of place was kingsley. He seemed off since the party and it was impossible to talk to him when Halima was constantly clinging to him. When I did get him alone he was cold and closed up, nothing like my best friend. About 2 weeks into school I got fed up of Kingsley's act. Early on a Saturday morning I stood outside Kingsley's window banging on it. Kingsley pushed back his curtains and threw open his window.

"WHAT?" He hissed. His hair was disheveled from sleep and he was only wearing a pair of boxers.

I looked away from him and cleared my throat awkwardly. "Uh Kingsley some pants maybe?"

He looked down and blushed. "Meet me outside." He said and quickly closed his curtains.

I walked back to the front of his house and waited for him. Kingsley came out, this time dressed, and walked over to me. "What do you want Chioma?"

"I want to know what’s going on." Kingsley opened his mouth but I cut him off. "And don't tell me nothing is going on because I have known you for forever and can tell when something is up. You have been acting so weird lately and I am worried about you."

Kingsley let out a sigh and sat down next to me. "It’s my mom." He began looking at the ground. "She... she is sick... my mom has cancer." kingsley let out a small sad laugh. "It's safe to say I haven't been handling it well"

A lump formed in my throat. "When did you find out?" I asked.

"The day after the party." Kingsley turned to meet my eye. He looked so sad, so scared. "I don't know what to do." Tears filled his eyes and he quickly wiped them away.

I threw my arms around him and he wrapped his around me and started to cry. I had never seen him like this, it scared me. If cool, calm Kingsley was breaking down then things must be really bad. "It's gonna be OK." I whispered and pulled away to meet his eye. "I'm gonna be here for you no matter what."

Kingsley took a deep breath and dried his eyes. "Thank you Chioma, you really are the best. I have to go get ready for practice." I nodded and walked him to the door. "Can we just keep this between us?" He asked nervously.

"My lips are sealed." I replied with a smile. "Bye." I gave him a hug then started to walk away.

"Chioma!" He called and I turned to face him. He looked like he really wanted to tell me something.

"Yeah?"

"Never mind." With that he turned and went inside, slamming the door as he went.


Remi and I went to shoprite and got frozen yogurt every Saturday, it was a tradition. Remi always got vanilla with peanut butter chips and I got vanilla with gummy bears, sprinkles and strawberries. It was safe to say I had a major sweet tooth.

"You know what today is?" I asked her.

"Hmmmm presidents day?" She joked. "Sorry I have no idea."

"A year and a month ago Lanre and I started going out."

"Oh."

"Since I was in jand during our year anniversary we decided we would just celebrate our year and a month."

"Are you sure he remembers? I mean guys forget that sort of stuff."

"Not Lanre. He said he has something big planned." Remi looked sort of put out. "Stop being jealous of my awesome boyfriend and go talk to that dude, he has been checking you out"

"Excuse me?" I gestured to the guy who had been checking her out for the last 5 minutes.

"Go talk to him!" I squealed.

"No thanks."

"Remi he is uber hot! Why not?"

"Because! If you think he is so hot then why don't you go talk to him?"

"Cause I have Lanre, gosh Remi what’s your problem?"

"You!" She yelled. "All you ever do it talk about yourself or you and Lanre and I am sick of it!"

I just sort of stared at her, jaw dropped. I was shocked. Lucky for me I got over the shock fast. "Excuse me? So I talk about my boyfriend! That is 100% normal! I'm sorry you don't have one, have never had one in fact, but don't take it out on me!" Remi glared at me then leaned over the table and dumped her yogurt on my head. "Remi!" I screamed jumping up. She seemed almost stunned by what she had just done, but she didn't say sorry, no she just ran…

Lanre was late, an hour late. I was done waiting. I turned on my computer and went to Skype. Of course he was on.

"Hey Chioma what’s up?" He asked with a smile when the call connected.

"Oh nothing just really craving pepperoni pizza." Lanre gave me an odd look then realized what I was talking about.

"Oh my God our date."

"Not just a date, our 13 month anniversary, the one we were gonna celebrate since we missed our 12 month."

"Chioma Just let me get dressed and I will pick you up and -"

"How did you forget?" I asked feeling close to tears.  You reminded me everyday that you had something planned and now you don't even remember it? What changed?"

"Chioma I'm sorry, I just spaced. Please let me make it up to you."

"Thanks, but no thanks."

"Chioma -" I hung up before he could finish. I covered my mouth to suppress a small sob.

'Pull it together Chioma.' I told myself. 'So your best friend dumped yogurt on your head and your boyfriend forgot about you. It can always be worse, besides you still have Kingsley.'

I pulled out my phone and began to dial his number but stopped. My problems where pathetic compared to his, if I called him I would seem so dumb. I sat down on my bed feeling completely and utterly alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment